Beckham's Miami dream three years away
Former England and Manchester United star, David Beckham speaks during press conference at the Perez Art Museum Miami, in Miami, Florida on February 5, 2014 - by Alexia Fodere
Peruvian entrepreneur Marcelo Claure, a major partner in Beckham's move into football ownership, said there was simply too much to do in building a club from top to bottom.
There had been high hopes among Miami's football-starved community -- which has not had a top-level soccer team for more than a decade -- that the as-yet-unnamed franchise might be ready in 2016.
"Three years, three years, 2017. That's the idea if it all works out like we hope," said Claure, after Beckham confirmed football's worst-kept secret Wednesday and said he was bringing football back to Miami.
Beckham, Claure and their ownership team -- which also includes British pop music and television impresario Simon Fuller -- reportedly paid $25 million for the Major League Soccer franchise.
"Three years is the objective because we’re creating a soccer team from scratch," Claure told reporters.
"We have to pick coaches, we have to involve the community, we have to pick a name, pick a jersey, we have to convince big-name players to come play for us."