Broken neck forces Wallaby McCabe to retire
Australian rugby player Pat McCabe, pictured during a training session at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, on June 13, 2014 - by Mal Fairclough
The 26-year-old suffered a jarring knock on Saturday night in Australia's 51-20 loss to the All Blacks at Eden Park and Larkham said a meeting with a specialist on Tuesday had confirmed another fracture.
"(It's) very disappointing news, actually. He had a scan over in New Zealand and it was reported to have had a little fracture in his neck," Larkham said.
"He's since seen a specialist in Sydney and the specialist has confirmed it is a fracture in there, and that he strongly suggests never to play ever again.
"I think at this stage, Patty's made the decision that he's not going to play again."
McCabe first fractured his neck in 2012 on the Wallabies European tour and suffered another neck injury in the 23-21 loss to the British and Irish Lions at Brisbane last year which ruled him out for the season.
"The good thing is he's in a neck brace at the moment and will stay in that neck brace for the next couple of months and the neck should heal up fine, but (it's) devastating that he won't play rugby again," said Larkham.
McCabe has played 24 Tests for Australia.