Everton should rethink stance on duo - Moyes
Everton's Belgian midfielder Marouane Fellaini (R) vies with West Bromwich Albion's Congolese defender Youssuf Mulumbu (L) during the English Premier League football match between Everton and West Bromwich Albion at Goodison Park in Liverpool on August 24, 2013.
Moyes, who left Everton at the end of last season, had a £28 million ($44 million, 33 million euros) joint-bid for the duo rejected earlier this week, which the Merseyside club branded "derisory and insulting".
Moyes's successor at Goodison Park, Roberto Martinez, questioned the timing of the offer, but Moyes says he remains on good terms with the club and their chairman, Bill Kenwright.
"There's a mixed market at the moment. Nobody's quite sure where the price is just now," Moyes said.
"We've had offers for players which we think are quite small. I can see where other clubs might be thinking there's not enough value for their players as well.
"I definitely (have sympathy for Martinez). But I also know if I had been Everton manager and Sir Alex (Ferguson) had come asking for Baines and Fellaini, I'd have found it very difficult to keep them.
"I always thought the right thing to do was the right thing for players.
"Roberto is new in his job and I'm sure he'll get to understand how Everton work. I respect Everton greatly and speak with Bill Kenwright most weeks.
"Of course taking their players is going to affect them, but there is not any disrespect whatsoever because we didn't make the offer public."
Moyes will take charge of his first competitive home game as United manager on Monday when Jose Mourinho's Chelsea visit Old Trafford in the Premier League.
United striker Wayne Rooney has reportedly become unsettled after Chelsea had two bids for him rejected, but Moyes says he could hand the 27-year-old a start after he came on and created two goals in last weekend's 4-1 win at Swansea City.
"Wayne has recovered and has a good chance of starting," Moyes said.
Martinez took the opportunity to respond to Moyes after Everton's 0-0 draw against West Bromwich Albion later on Saturday and the Spaniard made it clear he was still unhappy with his predecessor's conduct.
Alluding to Moyes's battle to keep Rooney out of Chelsea's clutches and his struggle to persuade players to join United, Martinez said: "I think my comment is quite clear. If managers start talking about players who are registered at other clubs, that is the end of the whole thing.
"I think everyone should look after their own things internally.
"I am sure they have got many issues in the same manner and I could easily come out and give my opinions about these players but I will be more respectful than that.
"The business should be done quietly. It is really unfortunate when you read papers and people talk about your players.
"I could sit down and give you half an hour with my vision of how the other club (United) is being run, the players they want to go and how they should be sending messages to all the clubs around the world that they have been trying to sign players and haven't been able to do it.
"Everyone has got a price but when you invest money in a player and five years later you get offered the same money after performing really well, that becomes a little bit of a nonsense."