Updated: Thursday, 10 July 2014 22:03 | By Agence France-Presse

FIFA rejects Uruguay, Suarez appeals - official

FIFA has dismissed appeals by the Uruguay Football Association and Luis Suarez over the striker's four-month global ban for biting, it was confirmed Thursday.


FIFA rejects Uruguay, Suarez appeals - official

Luis Suarez celebrates Uruguay's World Cup victory over Italy in Natal on June 24, 2014Uruguay won 1-0. AFP PHOTO/ JAVIER SORIANO - by Javier Soriano

"The FIFA Appeal Committee has decided to reject appeals lodged by both the Uruguayan player Luis Suarez and the Uruguayan FA," a statement said.

"The terms of the decision taken by the FIFA Appeal Committee were communicated to the player and the Uruguayan FA today."

The FIFA statement said the decision was not binding, meaning Liverpool star Suarez could still appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Suarez was thrown out of the World Cup and banned from all football activity for four months after being found guilty of biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini in a Group D game on June 24.

It was the third time Suarez had been found guilty of biting an opponent in his career.

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn