Floyd sets September date, avoids Khan
Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. of US poses with Justin Bieber at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on September 14, 2013 - by John Gurzinski
Mayweather Promotions chief executive Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN of Mayweather's next fight date but said no site or opponent had been set, a report on the network's website said.
Khan, whom Mayweather had avoided when he selected Marcos Maidana to fight in a bout he won earlier this month, had said earlier that he could not fight in September because he would be celebrating Ramadan, a fasting month for Muslims.
"If Amir Khan wants to fight Floyd Mayweather, we're going to fight September 13," Ellerbe told ESPN.
Khan thought he was going to fight Mayweather this month, going so far as to pull out of a fight last December to help ensure no issues for a May bout.
But Mayweather kept Khan dangling for months before naming Argentina's Maidana as his opponent, one he beat May 3 to improve to 46-0 with 26 knockouts.
Khan fought and won on the Mayweather undercard, thinking he had put himself in solid position to earn a bout with Mayweather. But that appears not to be the case.
"We're looking at opponents now," Ellerbe said. "In the next two weeks we'll have that part figured out."
A rematch with Maidana is being considered.
Mayweather's September bout would be the fourth in a six-fight deal worth $200 million that he signed last year with Showtime.
If Mayweather completes the contract unbeaten, he would reach 49-0, matching the iconic 49-0 career record of heavyweight legend Rocky Marciano, who retired an undefeated champion.
Ellerbe said Mayweather is looking at New York, with strong interest from an arena in Brooklyn, as well as Las Vegas for staging the fight, but called the Vegas MGM Grand arena "always the leading candidate."