Anelka hints at Lazio move after 'quenelle' charge
French striker Nicolas Anelka thanked Lazio for their interest on Monday and hinted at retirement but said he wanted to stay with West Bromwich Albion despite the furore over his 'quenelle' goal celebration.
Last week Anelka denied making a gesture condemned as anti-Semitic and vowed to fight charges by England's Football Association, which could see the 34-year-old banned for a minimum of five games.
"Thanks to Lazio and all the others clubs who wanted to sign me these last few days," Anelka told his Twitter followers on Monday as he revealed the Italian club's interest in him.
"See you this summer if I decide to continue, but the question is why should I leave my club and England?
"I'm happy here and I did nothing wrong, so now it's time to stay focused on my football with my club and I will try my best on the pitch like I always do."
Anelka, was widely criticised for the 'quenelle', popularised by French comedian Dieudonne M'bala M'bala and described by critics as an inverted Nazi salute, after making the gesture in the 3-3 Premier League draw against West Ham last month.