Barca happy to be handed second chance - Martino
Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino has insisted he and his squad are delighted to have been proved wrong after writing off their own chances of winning La Liga just seven days ago.
Martino and senior players like Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta and Xavi Hernandez admitted the title was a lost cause after they could only manage a 2-2 draw at home to Getafe last Saturday.
However, in an incredible turn of events, defeat for Atletico Madrid at Levante followed by successive draws for Real Madrid at home to Valencia and away to Valladolid mean the title is now back in Barca's hands.
Martino's men still trail Atletico by three points with two games remaining, but will be champions if they beat Elche away on Sunday and then Atletico for the first time in six meetings this season when they clash at the Camp Nou on the final weekend of the campaign.
"We understand that we have been presented with a unique chance when the possibilities were very improbable, but we still have to play the games," Martino said on Saturday.
"You cannot guarantee that we are going to achieve it because we would be starting the games by lacking respect towards Elche and Atletico Madrid.
"We have the chance to depend on ourselves to win the league. It is a second chance that has been given to us and we are delighted to have been wrong."
Even should he go onto win the title, however, Martino is not expected to see out the second year of his contract with the club as former Barca player and current Celta Vigo coach Luis Enrique looks set to take over.
Luis Enrique was photographed leaving a meeting with Barca's sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta earlier in the week, but Martino said there was no need for the club to apologise to him for meeting with a candidate for his job.
"The club has not done anything wrong. Not now, nor in the 10 months that I have been here.
"All that I have to say is to the players and that is that we have the league in our hands."
Martino confirmed that the injured Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba and Neymar will definitely miss the trip to Elche, but all three could still be in contention for a potential title decider against Atletico next weekend.