Five great Premier League team goals
Chelsea's 3-1 victory at Burnley on Monday was illuminated by a magnificent team goal scored by Andre Schuerrle at the culmination of a slick 25-pass move.
Here, AFP Sports selects five other great teams goals from the Premier League's 22-year history.
Andrei Kanchelskis for Manchester United v Norwich City (a), April 1993
- A razor-sharp counter-attacking goal at Carrow Road captured Alex Ferguson's first great United team at their free-flowing best. United were already 1-0 up in a key fixture against their title rivals when a Norwich attack petered out in the visitors' penalty area. Facing his own goal, centre-back Gary Pallister hoisted a pass forward to Kanchelskis, who volleyed the ball inside to Paul Ince. Ince knocked a pass wide to Ryan Giggs, who immediately rolled the ball back for Brian McClair. The Scottish forward played a first-time through ball to Kanchelskis, now haring towards goal, and the Ukrainian winger rounded goalkeeper Bryan Gunn before sliding the ball home.
Watch the goal here: http://youtu.be/9YtVhrrekYw?t=47s
Gustavo Poyet for Chelsea v Sunderland (h), August 1999
- Uruguayan midfielder Poyet crowned a breezy 4-0 opening-day win for Chelsea with a spectacular goal against the team who he would go on to manage. With the home side three goals to the good at a sun-drenched Stamford Bridge, Didier Deschamps picked out Gianfranco Zola with a searching pass down the inside-left channel. The Italian striker cut inside, waited, and then scooped an exquisite pass over the Sunderland defence that Poyet catapulted into the top-right corner with a mid-air bicycle kick.
Watch the goal here: http://youtu.be/F_lkik83PMc
Patrick Vieira for Arsenal v Everton (h), May 2005
- During a 7-0 end-of-season rout of Everton, Arsenal scored a dazzling goal that showcased the sharply honed creative gifts of Dennis Bergkamp. The Dutchman began the move by chesting a Lauren throw-in to Edu, who fizzed a pass forward into the feet of Robin van Persie. Van Persie laid the ball off to Bergkamp and he bisected the visiting defence with an exquisite chipped pass that allowed Vieira to steam in and nonchalantly loft the ball over goalkeeper Richard Wright.
Watch the goal here: http://youtu.be/PboL6hSIb9M?t=3m52s
Wayne Rooney for Manchester United v Bolton Wanderers (h), March 2007
- A slick goal on the break helped United to a 4-1 win and highlighted the burgeoning understanding between Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo. An attacking throw-in for Bolton found its way to Ronaldo on the edge of the United box and he played a cleverly disguised pass out to Rooney, who returned it into the Portuguese's path. Ronaldo bore down on the Bolton defence before slipping the ball into the path of Rooney, who dinked a delicate shot past Jussi Jaaskelainen.
Watch the goal here: http://youtu.be/cThrddtk6xk
Jack Wilshere for Arsenal v Norwich City (h), October 2013
- England midfielder Wilshere started and finished one of the most stunning team moves of the Arsene Wenger era to set Arsenal on their way to a 4-1 win over Norwich. Picking up the ball well inside his own half, Wilshere sprayed a pass wide to Kieran Gibbs on the Arsenal left. Gibbs advanced down the wing and slipped the ball inside to Santi Cazorla, who exchanged passes with Wilshere before sliding a pass forwards for Olivier Giroud. The French striker flicked the ball inside to the onrushing Wilshere with the outside of his left foot, Wilshere instinctively guided it back to him, and when Giroud jabbed a pass into the area, Wilshere ran through to volley past goalkeeper John Ruddy with his right foot.
Watch the goal here: http://youtu.be/SuyY755KQdg