Hanover fuming as midfielder Huszti goes AWOL
Hungary midfielder Szabolcs Huszti faces a heavy fine and disciplinary action for missing training and matches after failing to tell his Bundesliga club Hanover 96 he had gone on holiday.
Hanover 96 wrapped their Bundesliga season with a 3-2 win at home to Freiburg on Saturday to finish tenth in the table, but the 31-year-old Huszti failed to report for training on Monday.
Club officials discovered he had gone off on an unauthorised holiday, even though four friendly matches had been scheduled.
"This is totally unacceptable and an affront to the club and the team," fumed Hanover president Martin Kind, who said they will sanction the "blatant misconduct with a drastic fine".
The attacking midfielder was Hanover's top scorer with 10 goals in 34 league games last season, but with a year to go on his contract, the Hungary veteran, who has made more than 50 appearances for his country, has not impressed Hanover's senior figures.
"Huszti's actions has put himself offside," said director of sport Dirk Dufner.
"A professional has rights and duties to which he must comply.
"Playing in matches and being at training sessions are, of course, expressly part of that."