Norwich and Newcastle charged after fiery draw
Norwich City and Newcastle United have been given until Wednesday to respond to a Football Association charge of failing to control their players during last week's goalless draw at Carrow Road.
Tempers frayed in a match where both Newcastle striker Loic Remy and Norwich midfielder Bradley Johnson were sent off by referee Chris Foy after pushing each other and squaring up head-to-head on the touchline.
"Both Norwich City and Newcastle United have been charged by the FA for failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative behaviour," said a statement issued by the FA on Monday.
"The charge relates to an incident in or around the 82nd minute of their match on Tuesday, January 28, 2014.
"The clubs have until 6pm (1800GMT) on Wednesday, February 5, 2014 to respond to the charge."
Newcastle failed in their appeal against Remy's red card, meaning the on-loan French forward missed last weekend's north-east derby defeat by Sunderland, and will also be suspended for the games with Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.
However, Norwich were successful in their appeal against Johnson's dismissal, meaning he was free to play in the Canaries' defeat by Cardiff City on Saturday.
Following the Norwich match, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew claimed Johnson should be "ashamed of himself" for his role in the incident.
"Johnson's reaction to the heads meeting, in terms that he got a headbutt when he did not, was the catalyst for them both to get sent off," Pardew said.
"It was his own fault, if he had not have done that then maybe the referee would have taken a more lenient view, but he made such a drama out of it, he should be ashamed of himself really."