Rooney happy to put contract talk behind him
Wayne Rooney admitted he was relieved to be able to focus on his football again after the Manchester United striker celebrated his bumper new contract with a goal in Saturday's 2-0 win at Crystal Palace.
Rooney on Friday put pen to paper on a contract extension worth a reported �300,000-a-week ($498,840, 363,534 euros) which will keep him at Old Trafford until June 2019.
The blockbuster deal is said to have made Rooney the highest paid player in the Premier League and the England striker showed the investment should be money well spent for United as he produced an impressive strike to kill off Palace at Selhurst Park.
United had just taken the lead through Robin van Persie's penalty when Rooney blasted a superb first-time shot past Palace goalkeeper Julian Speroni from the edge of the penalty area in the 68th minute.
It was the ideal way for Rooney to mark his 300th league game for United, and the 28-year-old conceded he was pleased to end speculation over his future after numerous reports earlier this season claimed he was considering leaving the club.
"The deal was important. It has more or less been agreed for a month. It was just the fine details needed finishing off. Thankfully it is done," Rooney said.
"I've been trying to do well for the team and trying to help us win.
"Whether I'm signing a new deal or not I always give 110 per cent on the pitch and that's what I've done today.
"Obviously I've been letting my football do the talking but I'm happy and settled."
United's first victory in four matches lifted David Moyes' team up to sixth place in the Premier League.
And Rooney was pleased with the way United saw off stubborn Palace.
"It was a good victory. I thought we played well," Rooney added.
"We moved the ball well, maybe could have created more chances, but overall we were in control of the game and once we got one goal we knew we'd get another and see the game out.
"It's tough getting that first goal but thankfully Robin put the penalty away."