Osvaldo, who quit Roma last summer to sign for Southampton in a four-year deal worth a reported 15.8 million euros (�12.8 million, $21.2 million), joined the Italian champions on a free loan deal until the end of the season.

The deal with Southampton allows Juve the option to buy the player outright for 19m euros, payable over three years.

"Juventus Football Club can today confirm that terms have been agreed with Southampton Football Club on a free loan deal for Pablo Daniel Osvaldo," said an official club statement.

"The agreement also includes the option, to be exercised before 31 May 2014, for the purchase of the player's full registration rights at the price of 19m euros, to be paid over the course of three years."

Osvaldo's return to Serie A has come as little surprise, given the Argentinian-born Italian's turbulent season at the southern English club, for whom he has made only 12 appearances to date, scoring three goals.

Southampton recently suspended him for two weeks following a training-ground clash with team-mate Jose Fonte, while he was given a three-match ban by the Football Association for his role in a brawl at Newcastle United last month.

When asked on Friday if Osvaldo could play for Southampton again after the incident with Fonte, manager Mauricio Pochettino said: "Your question answers itself, if you know what I mean; meaning no. It's clear."

Osvaldo will now feature for the champions in an anticipated scudetto battle with former side Roma, who are only six points off Juve in second place.

He told juventus.com: "I'm really happy, everything happened really quickly and I still can't believe it."

Asked if he had missed Italian football, the Italy international added: "Honestly, yes. When I left I was happy because I wanted to experience English football but in the end I started to miss the game here.

"To be here is a dream come true."

Osvaldo's arrival has added to an already ample forward line which notably features Fernando Llorente, Carlos Tevez, Mirko Vucinic, Sebastian Giovinco and Fabio Quagliarella.

According to the latest reports, Juve are still trying to offload either Quagliarella, Giovinco or Vucinic -- or all three -- although Quagliarella and Giovinco are reported to have already turned down moves to Genoa.

Vucinic has fallen out of favour lately and been linked to moves to Spain and France.