Spain qualifier to go ahead despite explosion
The World Cup qualifier between Spain and Belarus will go ahead at the San Moix stadium in Mallorca, FIFA confirmed on Friday, despite an electric circuit explosion which injured three people on Thursday.
Emergency services confirmed that the three injured were working on the site when the explosion took place and were transferred to hospital with two said to be in a serious condition.
"FIFA did follow up from the first minute on with its match commissioner on site and, after the incident was investigated by the local authorities and the repairs done, the match is confirmed to go ahead as scheduled," FIFA said in a written statement to AFP.
The explosion had reportedly cut the electricity within the stadium, leading to suggestions that the game could be postponed or even moved to a different location.
However, the problem had been repaired in time for Spain to train under floodlights within the stadium on Thursday evening in front of a crowd of 7,000 fans.
The world champions need just four points from their two remaining qualifiers to seal an automatic place at the World Cup finals with the meeting against the side ranked 80th in the world followed by the visit of Georgia to Albacete on Tuesday.