Updated: Wednesday, 11 December 2013 06:16 | By Agence France-Presse

Galatasaray v Juve rescheduled for Wednesday

UEFA have announced the remainder of the Galatasaray v Juventus Champions League Group B clash will be played at 1300 CET (1200 GMT) on Wednesday after heavy snow forced the match to be halted.

Galatasaray v Juve rescheduled for Wednesday

Juventus' goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon leaves the pitch after a heavy snow fall halted the UEFA Champions League group B football match between Juventus and Galatasaray at the TT Arena Stadium in Istanbul on December 10, 2013

Tuesday's clash at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium was stopped in the 31st minute with the scoreline 0-0, as increasingly heavy snowfall made playing conditions nearly impossible.

It means the remaining 59 minutes of the match will resume on Wednesday, with UEFA saying in a short statement on Twitter: "The @GalatasaraySK v @juventusfc match will resume at 13.00 CET tomorrow."

The referee called the players off the pitch as efforts were made to clear the snow.

However after a 25-minute delay, UEFA announced the match had been abandoned.

A message on the official Twitter page of UEFA said: "The #UCL fixture between @GalatasaraySK & @juventusfc has been abandoned after a snow storm caused the pitch to become unplayable."

A message on the micro-blogging site by Juventus said: "#GalaJuve has been abandoned due to snow. We'll bring you news on the rescheduled fixture as soon as we have it."

Under competition regulations, the remainder of the match either had to be played on Wednesday, or on another date set by UEFA. The match clock stopped at 31 minutes.

Juventus need a point from their final game in the group to secure their ticket to the last 16 along with Group B winners Real Madrid, who won 2-0 away to FC Copenhagen on Tuesday.

Galatasaray require a win to pip Juventus to second place.

Bizarrely, it is the third time a match between the sides has had to be interrupted.

In 1998, when Italy refused to extradite the Kurdish separatist leader Abdullah Ocalan to Turkey, a meeting of the clubs was delayed for a week, with Galatasaray eventually being held to a 1-1 draw in Istanbul.

In 2003, following terror attacks in Istanbul, Galatasaray hosted Juventus a week later than planned and won 2-0 in their group clash thanks to a brace from Hakan Sukur.

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn