Updated: Thursday, 17 April 2014 15:42 | By Agence France-Presse

Hulkenberg denies strike threat over wages

Nico Hulkenberg on Thursday denied reports that F1 drivers were threatening to go on strike over unpaid salaries, but he called for quick action to resolve the problem.


Hulkenberg denies strike threat over wages

Force India driver Nico Hulkenberg at Bahrain's Sakhir circuit in Manama on April 5, 2014 - by Mohammed al-Shaikh

Hulkenberg said it was "not good for the sport" that drivers were kept waiting for their wages and said discussions were underway to find a solution.

Germany's Sport Bild magazine claimed this week that several drivers for smaller teams, including Hulkenberg, who drove for Sauber last year, were still owed unpaid wages dating back to 2013.

It reported that the drivers' union, the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, had signed a document vowing to strike if the situation continued.

Hulkenberg, third in the drivers' standings with Force India after three races, was asked about a possible strike at the Chinese Grand Prix on Thursday and said firmly: "No that is not true."

He admitted, however, that unpaid wages were an issue for all the drivers.

"We are discussing that issue at the moment regarding unpaid drivers and it is something that is not good for the sport -- the pinnacle of motor racing," said Hulkenberg.

"We have never discussed doing a strike but we want the issue to be addressed. And we want it to be improved."

Hulkenberg admitted that with some teams struggling for cash, especially with the raft of technical changes brought in this season, it was difficult to know what action the drivers could take.

"I don't know," he said. "We all need to stick our heads together and see if we can come up with a solution."

Last year, former world champion Kimi Raikkonen complained that he was owed money by then employer Lotus, citing it as the reason for quitting to rejoin Italian team Ferrari.

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn