Updated: Sunday, 22 December 2013 00:30 | By Agence France-Presse

Montpellier's slump continues with Toulon thumping

European champions Toulon produced a commanding performance on Saturday to thrash Montpellier 43-10 in their Top 14 clash inflicting a fifth successive defeat on Fabien Galthie's out of form side.

Montpellier's slump continues with Toulon thumping

Toulon centres Mathieu Bastareaud (right) and Mathew Giteau challenge Montpellier winger Robert Ebersohn during their French Top 14 rugby union match in Toulon, France, on December 21, 2013

The crushing bonus point win -- they scored five tries to one -- sent Toulon provisionally top of the table, a point ahead of Clermont, who face bottom side Biarritz later on Saturday.

Jonny Wilkinson gave the hosts the lead in the ninth minute with a crisply-taken penalty but the animosity between the two sides threatened to boil over when Toulon's Springbok lock Bakkies Botha -- who had blown a kiss at Montpellier fly-half Francois Trinh-Duc prior to the penalty -- came to blows with Mamuka Gorgodze, who is set to play for Toulon next term.

The two sides got back to playing rugby and Trinh-Duc levelled the scores in the 16th minute with a penalty but Wilkinson restored Toulon's lead a couple of minutes later when Montpellier strayed offside and added another in the 23rd minute.

Montpellier's indiscipline ruined their hopes of winning the match as they messed up their few forays into Toulon territory with petty infringements.

Wilkinson had to go off temporarily after suffering a nose injury -- he had to have two stitches inserted -- when being accidentally trod on by Robert Ebersohn.

However, in his absence Toulon scored a try through Juan Smith who went in in the left hand corner in the 33rd minute after good work by scrum-half Sebastien Tillous Borde -- former Wallaby fly-half Matt Giteau added the extra points for 16-3.

Montpellier were torn apart again four minutes from the break with David Smith and Giteau involved and only prevented from scoring a try by Jim Hamilton's deliberate offside which finally broke the referee's patience and he sin-binned the Scottish international -- Giteau converted the penalty for 19-3.

Toulon took full advantage of Hamilton's absence as they extended their lead shortly after the restart as Smith went over and they added a third when hooker Jean-Charles Orioli touched down in the 47th minute.

Giteau converted for 31-3 and the Toulon fans performed their traditional showering of newspapers when their side gets a bonus point.

Montpellier at last conjured up something constructive and Gorgodze bustled over the line to score a try which was converted for 31-10 -- but minutes later former Wallaby Drew Mitchell scored his first try in the Top 14 as he intercepted a Trinh-Duc pass and ran it back.

Giteau converted for 38-10 and despite Montpellier once again being reduced to 14 men when replacement centre Wynand Oliver was sin-binned Toulon were unable to add to their total until three minutes from time when No8 Steffon Armitage -- who looks set for a long run as Chris Masoe is out for rest of the season -- finished off a flowing move in the left hand corner.

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn