Updated: Saturday, 16 August 2014 02:48 | By Agence France-Presse

Nadal to make US Open decision 'next week'

Rafael Nadal, who has been sidelined with a right wrist injury, will decide early next week whether or not to play in the US Open where he is defending champion, his management said Friday.


Nadal to make US Open decision 'next week'

This July 1, 2014 photo shows Spain's Rafael Nadal as he adjusts his headband between sets during his men's singles fourth round match against Australia's Nick Kyrgios at The All England Tennis Club in Wimbledon - by Carl Court

"Decision on US Open participation for @RafaelNadal postponed till early next week. No decision today or tomorrow," tweeted a spokesman for B1PR, the Spanish star's representatives.

World number two Nadal was forced to pull out of the Toronto and the ongoing Cincinnati Masters with a wrist injury at the end of last month.

The 28-year-old winner of 14 Grand Slam titles said he had hurt his right wrist in training and needed up to three weeks rest. 

In recent weeks, he has been pictured in practice wearing a brace to protect the injured area.

Nadal, the 2010 and 2013 champion at the US Open, hasn't played since his shock Wimbledon fourth-round loss to Australian teenager Nick Kyrgios.

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn