Updated: Thursday, 27 February 2014 11:48 | By Agence France-Presse

N.Zealand cricketer admits not reporting bookie's approach

Former New Zealand international Lou Vincent confirmed Thursday that he failed to tell authorities when a bookmaker approached him about fixing a match in Bangladesh, but said that was the extent of any wrongdoing.


N.Zealand cricketer admits not reporting bookie's approach

Former New Zealand international Lou Vincent pictured during a Champions League T20 match in Durban on October 17, 2012

Vincent said he had pleaded guilty to breaching the International Cricket Council's (ICC) anti-corruption code by not reporting the approach while playing in the scandal-tainted Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) last year.

"I confirm I rejected this approach at the time. There is no allegation or suggestion that anything untoward occurred beyond the approach itself," Vincent said in a statement.

The 35-year-old, who played in 23 Tests and 102 one-day internationals for New Zealand, added: "I have no involvement in any of the matches, or matters involving the other parties which were the subject of recent hearings and investigation in Bangladesh."

A special tribunal in Bangladesh said on Wednesday that it expected to hand down punishments for Vincent and three other people implicated in the BPL scandal within two weeks.

New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White declined to speculate on what sanction he could face but said authorities took any infringement linked to corruption seriously.

"We're concerned that a former New Zealand player has been linked to the ICC's Bangladesh Premier League investigation," he told Radio Sport.

"Of course, we're a strong advocate of the ICC's anti-corruption protocols and we treat this matter very seriously."

Shakil Kasem, a member of Bangladesh Cricket Board's three-member Anti-Corruption Tribunal, confirmed to AFP on Wednesday that Dhaka Gladiators managing director Shihab Jishan Chowdhury had been found guilty of match fixing.

He said another two players -- Sri Lankan Kaushal Lokuarachchi and former Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful -- had also been convicted, while a further six people had been cleared of all charges.

White confirmed that the Bangladesh probe was not related to another ICC match-fixing investigation that also involves Vincent and former Black Caps bowler Daryl Tuffey.

Details of that inquiry are scant but former New Zealand all-rounder Chris Cairns is reportedly one of the players under scrutiny.

Vincent and Tuffey had both confirmed they are cooperating with investigators but Cairns has said he remains in the dark and expressed frustration the ICC has not presented any evidence to which he can respond.

Vincent's statement on Thursday confirmed the probe was continuing.

"I am also continuing to cooperate with the ICC in respect of other inquiries they are making, which restricts my ability to comment any further," he said.

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn